Saturday, September 24, 2022

Who are you to me – Roger Federer?

 It is not the day I wanted. It is definitely not the day Tennis wanted. I was getting prepared for this emotional turmoil already and I try processing it now, through all the amazing memories and lessons you have given me, Roger!

Today, the 15th  of Sep 2022, when you announce your retirement news, I see the tennis world cry, appreciate, and just feel thankful for all you have done for the sport and to your fans. There is one girl(?!) who is secretly thanking you for existing, just being there!

I am not here to write all that you have achieved, all those magnificent 20 Grand slams, the factual realization of how great you have been for the stunning career of the past 24 years. I am not here to talk about the ‘finesse’ in your play and body, grace in and out of the court, and beauty inside out. But I am here to talk about who ROGER FEDERER is to me, and what you have done as the greatest sporting icon!

Roger Federer was some new name when I was in school and you are that person who I hated to see taking down the then-greats Sampras, Agassi, and co. It took a while to get used to you, get used to the stunning points you won, the volleys, returns, and the beautiful one-handed backhand. It wasn’t long before I unconsciously became a complete admirer of you, as a person and a player. 

A quote says, ‘You become what you admire. I have admired and allured you deeply, fondly, and gladly for decades and I hope one day I’m at least a little of you.

While the internet and the tennis world explode with thank yous and farewells, it is my best try to explain what you mean to me, without sounding cliched or hyperbolic. 

Roger,

You are vulnerable, raw, and human! Your losses speak more than your wins, you never shun away from showing your real persona.

You are highly resilient and it spoke volumes. While resiliency is a major quality of any athlete, you made it more evident. You made me resilient, not only to watch you during your 0-40, 1-5, or 2 sets down scenarios; but also during my darkest days in life. Every depressed day got better watching something of you.

You introspect all the time – you know your weaknesses all and do not shy away from facing them.

You are expressive – you cry and make me cry, you smile, laugh, and carry a style. You are a living model of emotional honesty.

You work hard and smart immensely within you, to make things look easy. Those effortless slices, single-handed backhand, cross courts, and aces - all had a ton of effort at the back. You are yet another athlete proving how persistent hard work, grit, and determination are the only seeds for perfection and success.

You are a bundle of oxymorons, subtly aggressive when being gracious, killer game points amidst all those nasty unforced errors, incredible volleys to those misses at the net – An amazing perfectionist while also being insanely humane in everything you do! You are the epitome of being absolutely NORMAL when being the GREATEST of the GREATS!

You illuminate your competitors, make friendships with them, and hold true emotions for them. These unique sporting stories you alone have created will be spoken for eons. FEDAL has become my emotion and you made my transition from looking at RAFA as your aggressive competitor to your best man on and off the court. That is a journey that is never understood by my heart.

With you being all the above amazingly, my adult years were all like growing up with you. I made friends with your fans – we are a bunch of good old college mates who grew up with you. I have had wonderful friendships which spanned your ERA. You DEFINED my adulthood. It was never easy to be your fan, as I have suffered heartaches and tears from your losses and victories.

When the time came, it was the easiest decision to name my boy after you – Yes, he is named JADON ROGER ๐Ÿ˜Š I will be the happiest parent if my little ROGER turns out to be a grain of who you are!

It was not a month ago when I had dreamt of you talking to me and my little ROGER, and crying to me in a corner of a badminton court (??!lol). This is one of the most surreal emotions I have ever felt which failed to fade away for quite some time. I had to funnily tell a few of my friends about the dream and also added that I wish Jadon and I get adopted by you.

As I kept re-living these memories of you, came the day Sep 23, 2022, when you played your last professional game.

I witnessed an absolutely normal match you played with your buddy RAFAEL NADAL. I witnessed the warmth and depth of your friendship with him, for one last time. I saw your team and fans cheer for your play, one last time. I witnessed your last serve, last point, last ace, last error, last rally, and every last thing of your professional career. I witnessed your LAST LOSS!!!

I anxiously saw the amazing farewell you had with all the emotions. I witnessed you and Rafa holding hands sobbing like kids. I noticed Novak teary-eyed trying to comfort you. I saw the team exploding and appreciating the legend of the sport. I realized the tennis world just pausing, tearing up, getting heartbroken, and then getting back to senses to cheer for you. With emotions saw you hugging and kissing MIRKA, kids, and parents. I saw you beautifully in tears galore, normalizing a man being a package of emotions. I witnessed GREATNESS yet again, for the one last time – On a Tennis Court.

Oh man, Roger! What an amazing grace you have to turn all your rivals into companions, to have them on your retirement day, and to weep for you so that you don’t feel alone. If this night is not, what else would define your greatness?

Rog, you made it all look great and easy. There were so many downs than ups, injuries, and things that did not really go very well all those years. But in the end, you spoke emotionally of how you would want to live all over again. How I wish, I could learn to forget bitterness and look back to happiness and positivity alone.! A lesson from everything you do!

You, An icon of peRFection forever! You don’t run into my archives ever. You retiring from Tennis, is the end of an era, the end of one phase of my life. I consider this a chapter in my life – looking forward to starting another one and seeing you in another paradigm. You will always be a SUPERLATIVE emotion to me, by all means.

I am sure, social media and the algorithms will pull up all your videos and news. As I have never had a day in the past without seeing your videos, I will never have a day in the future to miss seeing you. I am glad to continue life’s journey and you always will be a reason to smile and get inspired.

THE MR. ROGER FEDERER! Thank you for existing, thank you for all the joy, pain, and lessons. Thank you for raising me up from my bad times. Thank you for being an amazing sport. Thank you for being a hell of an inspiration to me, SWISS MAESTRO.

YOU said, “Finally to the game of tennis - I love you and will never leave you!”

I say to YOU, “To the man of class - I love you and will never leave you!”  





5 comments:

  1. Very expressive and I could see
    the true emotions in your blog. Your mention of the epitome of NORMALCY being the GREATEST of GREATS exemplifies this legendary sports icon and a great human being. ๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TJ :) yes, indeed! Happy to receive your comment.

      Delete
  2. Lilith, Brilliant write up that shows how legends can influence the world around them. Wishing RF the BEST and confident that he will continue to inspire the world even off the tennis court.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Geetha๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this amazing writing, I get to know the Roger Federer better as a person and a sportsman. I’m not a tennis fan. But I learnt what a good sportsmanship he showed throughout his career to win his opponents as his companions to lean on.

    ReplyDelete